Top Nine Performances by Sunglasses in Film and TV
Hollywood is full of talented performers who are known for their trademark roles and iconic performances, but sometimes, the real stars are the quintessential looks that define movies and television. When a memorable role is combined with a memorable look, it is almost certain to be unforgettable. Over the years, many iconic Hollywood characters have worn sunglasses as part of their signature styles. From your source for perfect custom eyeglass frames in New Orleans, LA, here are some of the most memorable performances done in sunglasses in film and TV:
- Top Gun: The Ray-Bans that we see Tom Cruise sporting in Top Gun set a serious trend at the time of the movie’s release. Aviators have since become a fashion staple that still evokes the feeling of this ‘80s classic.
- Risky Business: Yet again, it was Tom Cruise in the film with the Ray-Bans in Risky Business. Just a year before, Ray-Ban had made a $50,000 a year deal in order to place their sunglasses in movies and television. This film marked a break not only for Ray-Ban, but also for Tom Cruise, who was just beginning his film career when he played Joel Goodsen in this film.
- The Blues Brothers: The Blues Brothers gave viewers a fantastic soundtrack along with another reason to love the Ray-Bans wayfarer sunglasses look.
- Men in Black: The release of Men in Black gave Ray-Ban a three-fold increase in sales after viewers sought to replicate the mysterious look of agents Kay and Jay.
- The Matrix: The futuristic and yet totally ‘90s looks featured in The Matrix is one of the reasons why this sci-fi flick has remained such a popular movie. Blinde brand sunglasses made a name for themselves in this film with their signature plastic frames and tumble-polished zyl.
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: Another classic cameo for Ray-Ban sunglasses, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off evoked a fun-loving and carefree style. The Ray Ban Clubmaster glasses featured prominently in this film and became the definitive style of the decade.
- The Breakfast Club: While sunglasses might traditionally be known as a style reserved for the cool kids, The Breakfast Club featured this fashion piece being worn by the geek.
- The Big Lebowski: The pair of Vuarnet glasses worn by The Dude in The Big Lebowski was just the icing on the cake in an outfit that can only be described as “bathrobe chic.”
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s: Audrey Hepburn sported black Manhattan wayfarer-style Oliver Goldsmith sunglasses for this memorable role. These glasses added the perfect touch to an already-notable look—complete with pearls, a crystal hairpiece and a black dress.
Custom eyeglass frames in New Orleans, LA
Whether you want to imitate your favorite Hollywood star or starlet or you just want to shield your eyes from the sunshine this summer, Art & Eyes can outfit you with the perfect custom eyeglass frames in New Orleans, LA. Our selection of eyewear, frames and other fashionable accessories is designed to provide a stylish aesthetic to our customers. Stop in to our boutique today and let us help you find the perfect pair of shades!
Categorised in: Custom Eyeglass Frames